The Mount Laurel Township Police Department is full time municipal police force where the officers are responsible for providing protection for persons and property, prevent crimes, preserve the peace, apprehend offenders, and investigate and resolve incidents effecting public safety.
The Mount Laurel Police Department is a progressive, community oriented, proactive police department divided into two divisions. The Operations Division handles the day-to-day police patrol functions, pro-active details and several specialized units including bicycle and traffic units. The Administrative Division handles criminal investigations, records management, communications, school programs, and information technology.
The Mount Laurel Police Department seeks to attract candidates who possess the qualifications that are conducive to the long term goal of a work force that is representative of the community in which we serve.
In order to achieve this goal the police department will consider applicants for the position of Police Officer of from one of two sources.
1. A multi-year eligibility list for Mount Laurel Township is created and maintained by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission. The list is determined by an open competitive testing process given through the Commission. Job announcements for the Law Enforcement Entrance Exam is periodically posted on-line.
a. Click here for more info: http://www.nj.gov/csc/about/news/safety/index.html
2. Intergovernmental transfer from other Civil Service regulated police departments
Minimum requirements for appointment:
1. The applicant must be a US citizen and resident of New Jersey
2. Not less than 18 nor more than 35 years of age
3. The applicant must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.
4. The applicant must possess a valid driver’s license before appointment
5. The applicant must pass a command interview
6. The applicant must pass a medical and psychological examination
7. The applicant must pass a drug screening
8. The applicant must complete the Basic Police Officer Course from a New Jersey Police Training Commission or possess a valid Police Training Commission Certificate.
1. Salary as determined by the current collective bargaining agreement
2. Paid life insurance
3. Uniforms, weapons and equipment provided by the department
4. Paid vacation and sick leave
5. Medical and dental plan
6. Retirement plan
The Mount Laurel Police Department is an organization of highly trained personnel. In order to maintain this standard, all newly appointed officers will be expected to complete a vigorous and challenging course of training so as to be well prepared to perform a full range of criminal justice services.